Day 5, and I don’t know whether this experience is helping me or making my cravings leap out of control.
On the one hand, I’m doing better at recognizing when I should snack smartly. I’m splitting desserts and swapping out unhealthy options with healthier versions. I don’t feel hungry or deprived (well, not too much), but I am
obsessing focusing on what I’m susceptible to: baked goods.
Forget an addiction to drugs, I feel like I’m going cold turkey on buns. 🙄
I know that to restrict is a short stone’s throw to binging. I’ve been reading articles about willpower and came across this interesting tidbit of info:
“If you exercise more, you lower the cortisol levels in your body. Cortisol pushes you toward high-sugar, high-fat foods,” she said. “Instead of succumbing to temptation, try exercise.”
That’s something I didn’t do yeesterday – it was my off day to go shopping. We did a small walk around town, but nothing that counts as exercise. The weather is supposed to be warm and beautiful tomorrow, so I think I might go for a run. See if that helps me feel more positive about my choices and my own emotional state (which has been a bit low lately).
Speaking of emotional states:
People who are sleep deprived are usually high on cortisol, Shaar says, and have an imbalance of leptin, a hormone that regulates your hunger. Sleep can solve both of these problems, as well as curing the irritability you’re probably feeling
And that’s me. All over. Tired, stressed and apparently high on cortisol so craving doughy goodness. Le sigh.
Still, I did rather well yesterday, considering. 🙂
- I did not pick up any sweets or unhealthy food at the grocery even though I was a bit peckish.
- I had toast with peanut butter rather than French toast for breakfast.
- I ate only two slices of pizza for lunch and did not go back for a third, even though this was a thinner pizza than usual.
- They were serving banana cream pie today at the bistro in my work building. Tempted much? Let’s just say that I always make room for banana cream pie if available. Pie = 0, Me = 1.
- Donut craving strikes again! Printed out the directions to a 24 hour bakery and everything, but I opted to go home and have cereal instead. How many times can I curb the craving? Not indefinitely, but the longer I put it off, the fewer trips I make, right? Right! 😈