Enter Version 2.
The raisin bar had over 220 calories per bar.
The new, healthier bar has just about 180 calories. I think that’s rather good, don’t you? 🙂
This bar is just as yummy as the raisin version. I asked hubby what he wanted in his bars this time around and he said cherries, milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate and almonds.
His wish is my command. 😉
To cut down the fat and calories just a bit, I subbed half the oil for applesauce. I used one of those little snack-sized cups (4 oz) and it worked out just fine! I also cut down on the honey, but kept the other quantities the same.
I love how versatile and forgiving this recipe is to changes. I think I’ll try tweaking it some more next time just to see what I can get away with!
Tart Cherry Chewy Granola Bars with Chocolate Chips
- 2 cups oats
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons packed Splenda brown sugar
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- dash salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 ounce container of unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries (I cut them in half since mine were large-ish)
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I cut these in half as well)
- 2 tbsp milk chocolate chips (that’s all I had!)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat bran, cinnamon, flour, and salt. Make a well in the center.
- In a measuring cup, measure honey, egg, oil and vanilla and stir together. Pour into well in dry ingredients.
- Mix well with spoon, add in drained raisins, chocolate chips and almonds. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the bars begin to turn golden around the edges.
- Cool on wire rack for about 15 minutes before cutting. Do not allow the bars to cool completely or they will crumble when you try to cut them.
Makes 18 bars